Helping with the laundry – bringing things to the laundry basket, putting clothes in and out of the washing machine, adding soap, Set up a washing line and get them to sort out the different coloured socks 🧦 can they peg them up on the clothes line, can they identify the different colours and match them together.
2. Sitting and Setting the table, yes that’s right!! Get them involved in mealtime preparations the sooner the better, booster chairs can be bought to add to table. These values of sitting at a table have been lost in the business of routine and home time structure. Evidently they are key to building up and extending their individual vocabulary.
3. An amazing trick I love when working with toddlers is the magic coat trick, this involves having the child put the coat down on the floor (or a table). They need to stand near the tag/hood, put their arms through the arm holes, and flip the coat over their head.
4. Encourage them to assist with breakfast – have a container with a scoop in it for them to serve their own cereal; add a small jug of milk on the breakfast table.
5. When preparing snack. make sure you assist and supervise them in cutting up their own, all of this skills are key to building resilience and is key in supporting physical development as well as personal social and emotional development.
6. Before going to the supermarket, making a shopping list using catalogues and pictures on the internet can you make a collage of the shopping 🛍 list.